Subject: RE: [Leica] TRIPOD: you recommend it- I buy it.
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:00:53 -0500

Eric,
I am sorry to tell you that tripods are a lot like bags: and you know
what the LUG does whenever we get on a bag topic.

Tripods are a very personal decision that requires hands on experience
to determine what works for you.  For example, the locks on the
Manfrotto series drive me nuts whereas the nuts on the Gitzo seem
perfection.  Take your time making your decision, hopefully your choice
will be with you for the rest of your photographic journeys.

General clues would be, if you frequently hike more than a couple of
km's then go for a lighter tripod.  If you choose a light tripod then
make sure it has a hook on the bottom of the center column to hang
weight which will make the whole think more stable. Purchase a tripod
that will extend above eyelevel without using the center column so the
tripod is useable on uneven terrain (only valid for eyelevel cameras).
Definitely insist on legs that will spread independently and allow the
tripod to go flat to the ground so you can shoot low level images.

Think through what kinds of things you photograph and with what
equipment before you decide on a head.  For studio use a pan tilt head
can be very useful.  If you work in the field a lot then most have
settled on a ball head.  Generally speaking the Arca B1 has been the go
to head, especially if you use some really heavy equipment.  However,
with time, other heads have become attractive: these would include the
Arcatech which is much lighter, the Novaflex heads, and the Gitzo
magnesium heads.  If you use a wide variety of equipment then
compatibility with Arca Swiss plates would be a plus.  Generally, spend
more money on the head than the legs as your primary interface will be
with the head.

Hopefully, you have stuck with me so far.  If you use a tripod
infrequently then check out a Tiltall or one of the many clones.  I have
seen these for about $100 at camera fairs and they provide a good
portable tripod.  New, I would look into the Velbon series especially
the Carmagne series, any Gitzo, look at the Benbo set up and if you can
deal with the center nut these are ideal for field work.

What works for me using 35mm, Hasselblad, small Linhoff, and Fuji
GL690's are a Gitzo aluminum 3 section leg that goes to 72 inches with
an off center Gitzo magnesium head, a Gitzo Studex Performance with a
Bogen grip ball head or an NPC head, or a Leica table top with the large
head.  Unfortunately, only the Leica was less than $200.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com