Subject: Re: [Leica] Digilux 2 review pt posted - many samples
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 06:35:42 -0700

I think you have missed the point of the whole review by focusing on
the quality of the output.

First, but not foremost, he actually likes the output of small sensors.
I appreciated his taking the stance that there are going to be standard
"formats" in digital just as 35 mm, 6 x 6 and 4 x 5 are for film. He
likes the look of the noise when the D2 is at 400 ISO in the same way
that some people like the grain of 35 mm Tri-X. Naturally personal
tastes will differ.

Second, but by far the more important, he concentrates on handling. How
easy it is to use, does the camera disappear, etc. This the issue that
is most important to me regarding a camera. It is why I use M cameras.
Nothing gets in my way. The D2 sounds interesting: straight forward
controls that can be set by feel rather than menu, minimal shutter lag,
etc. However, one of his main complaints is the deal killer for me: no
proper viewfinder.

If the D2a or D3 has an M like finder, then I am in.

As an aside, it was the best camera review I have ever read. The chap
is a photographer first and doesn't care a bit for specs. He
concentrates on handling and output and that is it.

John Collier