Subject: [Leica] m4-p rangefinder adjustment / realignment in Chicago?
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Fri Mar 26 09:44:25 2004

Leicajay@aol.com wrote:

> instances of "using up" parts from old models on the early runs of new ones,
> and substituting parts destined for new models on the last runs of old ones,
> is a very "Leica" thing.

What you're describing is a very "manufacturing" thing regardless of type of product.  Sometimes the parts are visible, such as the variations in the Nikon F's film-advance lever (3 I know of), sometimes it's a hidden like the revised circuit board for the heater/defroster controls in the VW I had in college.

I suppose this is all a matter of perspective.  Without engineering specs, how does one determine whether a part upgraded or replaced during a production run is a "leftover" from a previous model or is destined for a new model but used on the last batch of the old?  Why can't it just be a newer version of the part?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com