Subject: [Leica] M7 Digital (real one!! :-) ) in LFI
From: Leicajay at aol.com (Leicajay@aol.com)
Date: Sat Mar 27 08:53:09 2004

<<In a message dated 03/26/2004 7:40:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kididdoc@cox.net writes:
Hi Karen.... exciting, yes ...but it seems a bit
early to be talking details.... I know I sound
like my friend BD, but he is usually right on the
button....... are you sure they are not just
putting it out there   ?.... ie running it up the
flagpole, to see if anyone will salute....just to
get their toe in the door?>>

I haven't seen the picture (and won't because I stopped LFI years ago) but
with two years to go until the launch I wouldn't put a lot of stock in an image
now, even if it comes from Leica (and somehow I doubt that the publishers of
LFI are the type to put an April-Fools joke in the mag).  The reason I say this
is that until about two days prior to Cosina-Epson's announcement of their
Digital-M, Leica was still maintaining that it was "impossible".  As a loyal
Leica man of course I believe they weren't lying, but were honestly surprised by
Cosina-Epson's brand-new top-secret technology.  Thus the image in LFI must
only be a conceptual mock-up, beceause of course since Leica truly believed a
digital M was impossible until a few weeks ago, they would not have had time to
actually produce a working model yet.

I will state for the record though that I am disappointed if Leica is not
going the route of a digital back for existing M bodies as they are doing with
the (as yet phantom) R back.  However I do believe that since the chip and
electronics are already developed (by Epson) to deal with the rear-element-to-chip
proximity issue, someone will eventually produce either a digiback or a
gut-and-retrofit for earlier M's so that the enjoyment of classic Leicas can
continue into the digital future...it will be a pity if someone else other than Leica
reaps the profits from that.

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] M7 Digital (real one!! :-) ) in LFI)
Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] M7 Digital (real one!! :-) ) in LFI)