Subject: [Leica] PAW, now lens equiv
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Mar 29 07:09:26 2004

True enough, Sonny - But there are a few other differences between then and now. Generally, and I stress the "generally," people shooting back then had far fewer lenses at their disposal - and zooms were essentially unheard of - at their disposal; if we're talking 35 SLR the bag might have contained perhaps a 28, 35, 50-55, 90-105 or 135, and maybe a 200. Or it might have been just 35-50-90. With the occasional Super Angulon thrown in. So 'wide angle' usually meant 35, normal meant 50, and telephoto was often 135. And the equivalencies between formats were a given, at least among working photographers. But today the range of lenses is much broader, and the equivalencies are not nearly as well understood or as fixed.

Hey, I'm perfectly happy to speak in terms of actual focal lengths - or, for that matter, in vague generalities. I just figure that including the equivalents gives people more information.
No? :-)

B. D.