Subject: [Leica] M 135 Opinions/Comments/Anecdotes/Cautions
From: Leicajay at aol.com (Leicajay@aol.com)
Date: Mon Mar 29 14:05:09 2004

<<In a message dated 03/29/2004 3:45:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gcr910@msn.com writes:
Group:

Will soon buy an M 135 mm and would like users'
opinions/comments/anecdotes/cautions about the 3.4 APO and old glass (such
as the 2.8). Have read Erwin Puts material, but would like some hands-on
input closer to the photo world I inhabit. Lean toward a new 3.4 simply 'cuz
I've had wretched luck over the years with anything used; must admit,
however, that I am tempted by the extra stop and significant price
differential of the old glass.>>

Greg (and apologies to those who've read my treatise on this subject an
nauseam on photo.net), I own the 135/3.4 APO-Telyt .

At one time I was the owner of an early-70's sample of the Tele-Elmar, and
was an internet virgin and happened upon Erwin's write-up of the just-released
APO.  Not yet recognizing what Erwin is all about, I bought the lens untried
and untested based on his pseudo-scholarly appraisal.   And I tested them
exhaustively, with Velvia, on a tripod, at all apertures and short, medium and long
distances.  They are two exceptionally good lenses, so close in performance
that to this day I kick myself for being such a gullible fool and paying all
that much more money for the APO...whose lens head, unlike the T-E, I can't mount
on my Visoflex.

The APO is a magnificent optic.  So is the T-E and it's about 1/3 the price.
Sometimes I really wish I was the type, like so many Leica users, who could
see whatever he wanted to see in comparison photos...if I were, I'd be a lot
happier I spent the extra money.

Jay