Subject: [Leica] M 135 Opinions/Comments/Anecdotes/Cautions
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Mar 29 16:47:42 2004

I have owned every version of a 13.5cm/135mm RF-coupled lens ever made by
Leitz/Leica.  Here are my findings:

4.5/13.5cm Elmar	Avoid this one, unless you are a collector
4.5/13.5cm Hektor	a really decent lens, especially at apertures below f/5.6
4/135 Elmar		Possibly the best of the lot.
4/135 Tele-Elmar	A really decent lens.  A bit slow but quite capable.
2.8/135 Tele-Elmarit	A soft lens with low contrast and not really suitable
for low light conditions -- you would do better with a 4/135 at slow speeds
than with a Tele-Elmarit
3.4/135 APO Telyt	Why purchase anything else?  This one is the way to go.

The APO Telyt is really the way to go;  I use it rarely but am delighted to
have it in my camera bag.  The second choice would be a 4/135 Elmar, a long
and bulky lens but an excellent one, and, yes, I own one of these as well.

For aftermarket lenses, I'd buy three SPS 4/135 Jupiter-11's and would sell
the one which didn't work.  This lens is magnificent and should equal or
surpass the 4/135 Elmar.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!