Subject: [Leica] M 135 Opinions, Go Ask Tootsie and Opus
From: buzz at bethhardiman.com (Buzz Hausner)
Date: Tue Mar 30 05:42:57 2004

Come on, B.D., haven't Tootsie and Opus taught you to understand the
meaning of "bow-wow"?  The 135/2.8 is softer than other options,
exhibits less contrast than other options, is harder to frame than other
options, and is a whole lot bigger and heavier than other options.
What's to like other than an extra stop for which one can more easily
compensate in film choice or speed.  Bow wow.  Having spent most of my
working life in public service, I can definitely say that the 135/2.8 is
certainly not good enough for government work, at least in the State of
Maryland and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts!

If money is an object, the late expression 135/4.0's cost about US$100
less than equivalent 2.8's.  If money is no object, than the 3.4 is the
only way to go for an M mount 135.

That said, I must emphasize to anyone who has never used a 135 on an M
body that if you practice, practice, practice, you will get to Carnegie
Hall at just about the same time you can accurately frame with any 135
and you may still want to consider that R4...

	Buzz Hausner