Subject: [Leica] Re: 135mm opinions...
From: sdmp007 at pressroom.com (Sal DiMarco,Jr.)
Date: Tue Mar 30 08:24:20 2004

Fellow Luggers,
    Just to further muddy the waters over the 135mm question, please allow
me to add my opinions.
    For my M cameras, I have two 135mm lenses, a 135mm f/4.5 Hektor for B&W
and a later version 135mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M for color work.
    The Hektor is OK in B&W and does improve after being stopped down, but
it's no barn burner.
    The goggled Elmarit-M is another matter. I have had mine for a long
time, I have found it very sharp and easy to use, It has never been soft
wide open and the low light contrast has been adequate.
    The only disadvantage I've found with the lens is its close focus limit.
A reflex with the same lens focuses closer. However, the weight of a reflex
camera (even a light R4) and the 135 R is still more than the 135mm Elmarit.
    When shooting a story with rangefinder cameras, I often find I need/want
the reach of a longer lens and the weight of the 135 is an excellent
compromise. Using a variety of lenses on a story gives it a more interesting
look.
    In my world of 100 ASA, f/2.8 is necessary. I have used the new 135mm
f/3.4 APO-Telyt-M. It is sharper than the Elmarit, and with the lighter
weight, I could live with the loss of a 1/2 a stop. It's my pocketbook which
keeps me from trading up to the Apo-Telyt.
Happy Snaps,
Sal

Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA