Subject: [Leica] Toning in Photoshop: PAW 13
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Wed Mar 31 08:06:08 2004

Hi George,

Thanks for your reply.  I agree with your assessment of the second
image.  I think the second step of toning the highlights returned balance
to the overly-toned sepia version and allows a nice contrast between the
neighboring darks and lights.

I started working on the third image (the street scene) for printing.  I'm
using a stock 2200 with the matte black cartridge on Epson Enhanced Matte
paper for the proofing.  I'm planning on Hanemuhle Photorag for the
final.  My digital darkroom setup is less than a week old and this is
actually the first image I'm working on with my scanner and printer, so
I've been playing with different ways of printing.  For this image I'm
liking split-toning all inks best, greyscale black only second-best,
greyscale all inks third.  The differences are subtle, but they're
definitely there.  I also tried using some PS duotones, but those didn't
look at all good.  I'll probably need to experiment more with those,
because I know others have done well with them.

I'm also working on another image for printing, which seems like it looks
best using black only printing, so I guess which method I use will depend a
lot on the image.

I have no experience using any other inksets, as I'm just starting with
digiprinting.  What do you use?

Best,
Aaron