Subject: [Leica] Re: What would you do if this happened to you?
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sun Apr 4 06:06:43 2004

Ted:

>What would you do under these circumstances?

Probably, the only effective course of action would be to concentrate on
getting your gear fixed, learning from the experience, and moving on.  Just
be glad you weren't shipped off to Syria by the United States, like one of
your fellow Canadian citizens was.  He now walks with a limp and has
reoccurring nightmares, according to the news reports I read.  Good thing
we're a civilized country and don't believe in torture.  (His crime?  He was
born in Syria before moving to Canada and becoming a Canadian citizen.  He
wasn't even trying to enter our country.  Just passing through, and his
return flight to Canada connected via New York.)

If you do want to raise the issue--and as a US citizen, I'd prefer if you
did because the system will remain broken until enough people protest--I'd
talk to the people you were here visiting/working for.  They might have more
success raising the issue through their congressmen than you'd have on your
own.  But do see if you can push this through your embassy, as well.

I'm ashamed that my country is treating its guests like this.  I thought
this was something we learned in kindergarten.  If you break something that
belongs to somebody else, apologize and make it right.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/

Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Grits!! (was: Kodak B&W 400 film))
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] What would you do if this happened to you?)