Subject: [Leica] 35 Summilux...
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Apr 5 06:33:08 2004

With all due respect to Gerry- and there is an enormous amount due :-) -
or anyone else saying you probably won't see a difference:
I have owned and used the pre-ASPH, and I now own and use the ASPH - The
pre-asph has only ONE thing going for it - it is startlingly compact and
light weight. Yes, it was very popular among PJs in the 60s, in part for
its size, but also because it was the first 35 1.4 if I'm not mistaken.
There were many great images shot with it. But that said it is
terminally flare prone, and is soft wide open. As using a 1.4 wide-open
is the only reason to invest in a 1.4 lens, one has to ask why you would
give up what is arguably the world's best 35 mm 1.4 lens for an
obviously inferior lens? Frankly, one of the reasons I am intrigued by
the idea of the Epson digital RF is that by mounting the 35 1.4 asph on
it I will have what will probably be the world's best 50-55 1.4. :-)

The 35 ASPH is flare free-  or as flare-free as any lens I've ever used
or seen demonstrated, and produces sharp, wonderfully contrasty images
wide open. For a 35 1.4 it, too, is small and relatively light weight -
compare it to a Nikon or Canon 35 1.4.

We tend to get hung up on this question of size, weight, etc., with
lenses that are, compared to all their non-Leica competitors, small and
light.

I know you said it's for your own use, and you'll only print up to 8x10
- but flare is flare, whether you're printing a 3x5 or 20x24 - and soft
is soft, albiet that's not as obvious in tiny prints.

To sum up - you've got the world's best, so why step several giant steps
backwards?

B. D.