Subject: [Leica] Two extender usage for APO-Summicron-R 2/180
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Apr 6 19:38:44 2004

Balazs Szabo asked:

> Hi All,
>
> Just wondering if it is possible to use 2x + 1,4x Extender together for
the
> APO-Summicron-R f:2/180 ? What about the quality loss?
> > Thanks,<

Balazs,
Nothing will break as long as the 1.4 is attached to the lens first and is a
lens that will take the 1.4 extender protruding front element, then make
sure the 2X is next to the body.

I did this many times with the 280 2.8 and other lenses that will take the
1.4 extender. One can do this with any Leica lens that will take the 1.4
extender first as long as it fits the lens, whichever prime lens that maybe.

The results are quite amazingly good and the first time I played with that
combination on a 280 2.8, I later called Leica and asked if there was a
possibility of damage or poor quality. Their answer was a firm and
unequivocal... "do not do that!"  "Why not?" I asked. Their response was
rather convoluted and meaningless from the point of a working
photojournalist at the time who couldn't afford an 800mm Leica lens. ;-)

And over the years I've had excellent results anytime a put a combination of
two Leica extenders together on any Leica lens they would work with. But the
1.4 must always fit the main lens first.

The easiest way to check is to see if the protruding front portion of the of
the 1.4 extender will fit inside the lens it's being attached to. If it does
go for it and have fun.

Yeah and don't listen to the techie crowd who say it wont produce Leica
quality images because they've never done it and are only quoting book
learning stuff instead of real-time on the street use. ;-)

ted