Subject: [Leica] slip-on caps
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Wed Apr 7 09:34:27 2004

just FYI, i find that schneider makes a wonderful and comprehensive set
of rubber slip-on caps what are VERY useful.   i first used them when
i got into linhof, but i discovered schneider makes a wide range of sizes.

for example, i have
front (70) and rear (58) caps (for when the hood is reverse-mounted) on
my 1st gen 50/1.4R (you absolutely need a cap since the SL2 Mot's meter is
always sucking battery power unless covered),
i also have a schneider cap on the round lens hood of my zeiss/hasselblad
50/f (90mm).

here's where you can get them, just under $10 for 68mm and smaller
and under 20$ for larger sizes:

http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/schcaps.html

for those who may by rusty in their arithmetic, measure the circumference
of the hood or lens using a paper strip and mark the overlap, measure in
millimeters, divide by 3.1415927 and choose the next smaller
diameter.  double-check by laying a ruler across the diameter.
for some reason, for the smaller sizes, like 38mm, i've found
i've often  needed to go down 2 sizes.

i know there are no snobs who feel that a schneider cap is
inappropriate  on a leitz or zeiss lenses.

just another (relatively inexpensive) accessory for the photographer
who owns everything.

-rei

--
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com