Subject: [Leica] Leica camera review OFF-LIST
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Apr 8 13:44:20 2004

Hi, Gerry -
After I read that review I sent Bill Pierce an Email asking him if he
had tested the camera at 100 iso, given his description of the great
prints at 13x19 - Here's his response...
-------
BD -

You're dead right.  With all the p&p, my tendency is
to work around 100iso.  Truth is, I have some friends
who think that is the only way to go with the bigger
cameras - but they're studio folks.

I've looked into some of these "grain filter"
programs.  Don't think much of the few I've tried.
Canon has an anti noise one that works with raw files
that may turn out to be pretty good.

My answer is to make the final print in
black-and-white.  Of course, being an elderly Tri-X
freak, I do that a lot anyway.  That way the noise
looks like grain.  Grain is silver noise.  Sometimes I
even sharpen a little.  Ugly as hell with noisy color
pics, but just gives you the "Rodinal look" with b&w
if you don't go nuts.

Anyway, I haven't found a noiseless, high film speed point-and-push yet.
Working with the new $1000 Canon.  8 megs and still somewhat noisy at EI
400.  Killer camera though.  I just print in b&w and dream of a 20 meg
Leica M.

Pierce