Subject: [Leica] my new pal
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 07:11:18 2004

Mitch

I have been using Portra 400UC and have had no grain problems what so ever.
I fact I would say it is as good as any 100ASA film I have used recently.

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           Mitch Zeissler <mitch.zeissler@verizon.net>  |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           04/12/2004 08:49 AM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                         |
  |       To:       Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>                                 |
  |       cc:                                                                               |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Leica] my new pal                                                  |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

> I use Fuji 800 Superia or Press as my Universal film.   Only a  rare few
> times, such as the Civil War stuff recently, do I use 200.    Of course,
the
> lion's share of my outside work is digital at 100.
> If you give 800 enough exposure, the grain is not at all  objectionable.
+++++++++++++++++++++++
What differences do you see with Fujicolor Superia X-TRA 800, Fujicolor
Portrait NPZ 800 Professional, and Fujicolor Press 800?

One of my main issues with Portra is any speed over 160NC and the grain
begins to really show, thus a recent switch back to chrome emulsions.
However, I still prefer the wider latitude of the print film, as well as
the more pastel color rendition.

I have found the 100 to 160 speed films to be too slow for use in many
candid portrait scenarios without flash.  Shooting with the Noct wideopen @
1/4 second is just too long for me to handhold with decent results.  If I
could get away from using the flash, have good color rendition and as
little grain as possible, I'd be a happy camper.

Regards,

/Mitch