Subject: [Leica] a new one
From: sam at osheaven.net (Sam)
Date: Mon Apr 12 14:59:18 2004

This is my last word on the subject. Promise.

The NYT's article you read is horse sh*t. Upper scale restaurants with
attached bars have had increased business. Small bars have been
financially devastated by this absurdly totalitarian law. The reason it
became news was that pricey restaurants were not expected to gain
business. Small mom and pop bar and grill establishments knew they were
going to loss business, and they have. This loss is as important to the
NYT as is its contract dealings with its freelance photographers (very
little).

How should non-smokers be dealt with in public? They should stay home
where they can be master of foul smells, pollen count, animal hair,
bodily odors, non-existent guests who didn't come because of their
whining, and anything else that upsets them. The issue is much bigger
than whether someone choses to hasten his life along by smoking.
Statements like "I wish they would ban tobacco because it would help me
stop smoking" are just a little bit nuts. The sheer egocentricity of
such a statement is mind boggling. But it's a statement that is
increasingly being accepted as we become more and more self-righteous
and less and less self-dependent.  Pick any person off the street and
examine him and you find a bundle of anxiety, depression, self-delusion,
broken promises, failed relationships, poor judgments, and more. Why
they do we think that these same people know what is best for everyone?
Why do we allow them to legislate our behavior? Perhaps now is the time
to reread '1984', 'Animal Farm' and 'The Iron Heel'.

Sam S