Subject: [Leica] grainy Tmax 100
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Apr 16 17:11:22 2004

On 4/16/04 3:55 PM, "Jeffery Smith" <jls@runbox.com> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I'm much less educated on developers than I was 25 years ago (memory
> fades). Is sulfite the "grain solvent" that is used in Microdol-X to reduce
> grain (and sharpness)? I just ordered a few combination developers from
> Photographer's Formulary (divided D-76, D-3, D-23) in hopes of getting D-76
> results with less variation. I hope that the sulfite doesn't smudge the
> results by dissolving grains.
>
> Jeffery

All these developers (not sure about D3) have plenty of sulfite in them but
is what we are used to. 100mls per liter but diluted 1:1 to make it 50. Just
make sure you don?t use them straight. Microdol is thought to have a bit
more. Say 125 per liter. And another dissolving agent it's not salt but
something else I forgot what the deal is on that. But you'd want to dilute
it 1:3 one of it's famous recommendations to get nice results with 35mm
without mush grain. Sharp smooth grain and an interesting easy to print negs
with a distinctive brownish tone. This involves long developing times.
Perhaps shortened with these higher temperatures people (not me) are using
now.

Ansel was said to have said that just about any developer is ok just as long
as you dilute it right.

WC fields is said to have said never give a sucker an even break.

But the above opinions are my own and all I've got to say is "I'm not the
only one!".

Oh and try the new Courier New with the filter turned on! Looks great on my
monitor makes you feel like a writer!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon