Subject: [Leica] Re: starbucks
From: mlpowell at sbcglobal.net (Matthew Powell)
Date: Sun Apr 18 14:00:55 2004

On Apr 18, 2004, at 3:32 PM, allan yates wrote:
> 1.  If your employer is exploiting you, there is a remedy:  QUIT.
> Find another
>      Find another job, or start your own business.

In the Bush-era economy, "find[ing] another job" is easier said than
done. But you're giving free reign to employers to exploit and do as
they please, placing the entire onus of responsibility on the employed.
Not to mention engaging in the "capitalism is completely voluntary"
fallacy. "Be exploited or starve"  is no choice, simply coercion of
another name.

> 2.  In my area, we have three Starbucks.  None of the small, locally
> owned
>      coffee houses have gone down the tubes as a result.  This may not
> be the      case everywhere, but the fact remains that some perservere
> regardless.
And when we have no laws against murder or theft, "some perservere
regardless." Non-argument.

  Starbucks is hardly Wal-Mart - no one would ever accuse Starbucks of
intentionally cutting prices to hurt competition at $4+ a cup - but it
does have a negative impact on small businesses, mom and pop coffee
shops.

> 3.  Ah!  Ridicule from the alleged enlightened and intellectually
> superior -
>      what a surprise.
Enlightened and superior? Nah, those concepts don't fit my worldview.

Though I do, quite honestly, struggle against considering myself the
intellectual superior of anyone who claims that Americans liberals and
progressives are simply commies straight from the Marxist Heart of
Darkness and proceeds to paint entire ideologies across the political
spectrum as wannabe autocrats and evil, etc..

MP

Replies: Reply from buzz.hausner at verizon.net (Buzz Hausner) ([Leica] Starbuck Called Him Ishmael)
Reply from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Re: starbucks)