Subject: [Leica] Lens shade Summicron 2/50
From: feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Mon Apr 19 12:46:50 2004

Waitaminnit!  The "latest style 50 Summicron" has a retractable lens
> hood.  Do you mean that it is not adequate for the job?  Leica would
> never do that!  :-)
>
> Jerry

I have a wonderful Summicron-DR with the fantastic clip on hood, which
can be mounted in reverse and that way not only protects the front
element but also most of the lens body.

I also have the latest version of the 50 Summicron. This one features
the inbred, collapsible hood which recesses with the slightest amount of
pressure, thus offering ZERO protection for the front element. Obviously
the schnapps ration must have been a little higher than usual when our
friends at Leica came up with this idea. I can't figure out why they
didn't add some simple twist lock or something to keep the darn thing in
place. My 90/2 Cron also suffers from the same design flaw.

My solution has been to use the thick rubber bands you find holding
together bushels of broccoli. These are the perfect diameter and width
to keep the shade from collapsing and are easily removed and stored
wrapped around the lens when it is not in use.

Feli