Subject: [Leica] Photoshop Questions
From: chmphoto at sbcglobal.net (Clive Moss)
Date: Mon Apr 19 18:51:28 2004

Saganich, Christopher/Medical Physics said the following on 4/19/2004
10:26 AM:

> Can anyone explain the units used in the grey histogram, specifically the "Level", (O- 256) and how this might relate to opacity, density or luminescence from a densitometry or sensitometry perspective?  I can't see a relation but there should be one.  For example how does the 18% grey relate to the number 127?

I was wondering about that myself, so I Googled around a bit, and came
to the conclusion that, like all simple questions, this one has no
simple answer.

18% grey refers to the reflectivity of a grey card, and is not actually
a neutral grey, to boot. The visual appearance of an RGB value depends
on the color space in which the value is defined, as well as the output
device that is used to represent the RGB value.

A level of 0 in a grey histogram is the lightest shade that your output
device can display (or that your input can capture at whatever settings
you have is set for. A level 255 is the darkest. The value of anything
in between depends on the gamma of the device.

A couple of the sites that I found to confuse myself were:
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/tools/colorist.shtml
http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/calibration/middle_gray/

Lagavulin is about 238,181,53 -- but it tastes better than that.

I have no idea what I am talking about. This is posted in the hope that
it will enrage someone who does know this stuff enough to post a rebuttal.
--
Clive
http://clive.moss.net