Subject: [Leica] the Rose on/off switch
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Wed Apr 21 12:20:25 2004

The odds of the exposure setting being the same after some off period (Like
the next day...) are very slim, so this is not a big deal.  Now if you want
to just turn it off for a few minutes between shooting bursts, why bother?
As to it being a word added to the B position, the meter is still turned
off in this position so no battery drain would take place.  Now I realize
turning the shutter dial to off is harder with the MP since they went retro
and use the older SMALLER, harder to turn shutter dial, where the M6TTL
uses a much more user friendly dial, but it works great for me with my
M6TTL.  On the other hand, I guess you get this switch thing and use it to
hang a grey card or maybe a small bag of film from for quick access. ;-)
As to the softie, I love them, but have the incurable habit of always
winding the shutter after every exposure, so when I put the camera away I
waste a frame, as it will get pushed enough to fire it off. ;-(

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com>              |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           04/21/2004 01:16 PM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                         |
  |       To:       Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>                                 |
  |       cc:                                                                               |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Leica] the Rose on/off switch                                      |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

really, in the MP they just added the word "OFF" to the B setting that has
always done the same thing on the M6. if you have a camera bag where it is
possible for the button to be depressed when stored, or especially
where one may use a "softie" release you do need to be good about
doing that quick counter-clockside spin to "B" or "B/OFF".  I went
through a few sets until I made that standard practice.

the theoretical advantage of the Rose (I don't own one, but I've considered
it)  would be that you can turn the camera on and
off without disturbing exposure settings.

-rei

--
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey