Subject: [Leica] Ruby in the morning. Alfredo in the afternoon.
From: crgrbrts at verizon.net (Craig Roberts)
Date: Wed Apr 28 12:01:43 2004

Good ole Bob Ruby. As Sonny said, Bob was a mutual buddy down in New Orleans.  Back in the '70's he was a singer from Minnesota who somehow, despite no broadcasting experience, finagled his way into being hired as the "morning man" at WWL Radio, the Crescent City's 50KW clear channel broadcasting behemoth. For a time, I was the news announcer during his shift.

Although critically acclaimed and publicly revered, Bob came to detest broadcasting. Fed up with its Machiavellian politics, Trumpesque egos and general Mortimer Snerdish idiocy, Bob quit "the biz" after a couple of years to became a Ruth's Chris Steak House franchisee in Houston.  As he left for Texas on a hot summer afternoon from the WWL parking lot, he put his arm around me and said, paternally, "You're a good guy. Don't let the bastards get you down."

He wasn't Socrates, but he was a darned fine friend.  I took pictures of Bob, too, many years ago -- with my then newly acquired, Alfredo Olivera sold and serviced (and beautifully black anodized) Leica M4. Who remembers Alfredo's Cameras?

I'm touched by the picture and impressed by the scan, Sonny.

Craig
Washington, DC

Replies: Reply from ahgraves at prodigy.net (Allen Graves) ([Leica] Ruby in the morning. Alfredo in the afternoon.)