Subject: [Leica] That's it, I'm throwing my cameras in the river
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Apr 28 12:08:54 2004

About 'our' motivation to photograph.

This past Saturday, my students were showing roughs of their semester
projects. One young woman has been shooting at a center for the
developmentally disabled - aw, hell, the retarded - focusing on an art
program they have. She showed an image that was a close up of two
people's hands awkwardly touching - a striking image - and my TA noted
that this image was a good one for us to think about in terms of
addressing the question 'when is photo journalism/documentary
photography, voyeurism?' So we talked about it for a while and then I
asked the student, 'why did you take this photo?' Her response:

"I thought it would be a great photo!" No bullshit. No 'I want to help
people.' No BS about 'understanding.' Just the bottom line - she's a
photographer, and the image leapt out at her. And that, in my humble
opinion, is what IT really is all about.

We may take photos for various economic, personal, political,
journalistic reasons. But if we really are the beast called
photographers, it call comes down to "I thought it would be a great
photo!"

B. D.