Subject: [Leica] RE: Mark Rabinor and his wonderful new exposure mode
From: fmaturana at euskalnet.net (Felix Lopez de Maturana)
Date: Thu Apr 29 11:30:38 2004

>I think maybe Mark has hit on a truly marvelous idea for digital.  Auto
>iso: photographer sets the shutter and aperture and the camera sets the
>appropriate ISO based on users defined limits on the histogram.
>
>There could be real money in this.
>
>No, I am not being cute.  How many times have we all fought to hold F1
>or F1.4 with a decent shutter speed.  How many times have we wanted a
>certain aperture to hold specific details in focus and exclude others
>but didn't want to drag a tripod two miles up hill so we could use the
>inevitable slow shutter speed.  With digital, there are many fewer
>compromises with higher ISO's.
>
>Don

But Mark & Don, doesn't this already exist? Not in pro DSLR but in advanced
p&s digital cameras. Any of the happy users of the Digilux cameras may check
if they have this? I think so. You set in manual the diaphragm and the speed
and, then, in the menu for ISO setting in AUTO mode, the camera will set the
necessary ISO -of course in the range of possibilities of the camera, lets
say 65-800, for an appropriate output. Tonight I'll check it but I think it
works like that. I only use 64 ISO for avoiding noise and if the light is
poor I use the flash.

It would be a fine idea if the DSLR, including the R8 digital back, will
have this feature.

Felix

Replies: Reply from dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] RE: Mark Rabinor and his wonderful new exposure mode)