Subject: [Leica] Eric's comments on "normal lenses"
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed May 5 01:24:57 2004

MPFJI - perhaps you have already mentioned this - but are you referring
to the performance at larger apertures? A look at the MTF curve on any
fast lens will find substantial loss of performance at wide apertures
and even more so at the edges. Whilst Leica lenses may be sharper wide
open than most this is still the case. I can't lay my hands on the MTF
curves of the Leica 50s at the moment or I would quote magnitude. Even
at the centre the sharpness will be much less open than stopped down
and the edges and corners much worse. Curvature of field is a feature
of many lens types and other aberrations are usually corrected in
priority over this in all lenses except macro lenses. M lenses are
reported to be designed to be more balanced for curvature of field
because of the focussing method.
I have never been inconvenienced by this personally because for
landscapes I am stopped down for DOF anyway and the sharpness of the
edges and corners is usually massively improved by stopping down, for
wide open shots I expect only a part to be in focus, usually near the
center, and the DOF is so small that the small area in focus at the
edges not being in the same plane as the focussed main subject has
never been a problem for me.
Frank