Subject: [Leica] ten years behind
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed May 5 11:28:59 2004

Butt Ugly, but built tough.

-----Original Message-----
From: lug-bounces+bdcolen=earthlink.net@leica-users.org
grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 2:22 PM
To: lug@leica-users.org
Subject: Re: [Leica] ten years behind

Doug

They are no more uglier than the Canon EOS line, IMHO. :-)

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Douglas M. Sharp"                           |
|         |           <DouglasMSharp@netscape.net>                 |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           05/05/2004 11:25 AM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->

------------------|

  |       To:       Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  [Leica] ten years behind

------------------|

Leica, built for the future with yesterdays technology !

On the state of the art as represented by Leica cameras I can only agree
with Ted, but wasn't Leica always the world leader in high quality
optics ? If they hadn't been so pig-headed with their philosophy of
"Leica lenses only for Leica cameras" they could have made a fortune
producing for other mounts. After all the camera body is only a box for
holding the film and partly governing the amount of light which reaches
it, it's the lens (the German word "Objektiv" is a lot more descriptive)
that does the real work of getting the quality of image  that the
photographer wants. This was admirably proved by the Bessa L, a lens
with a camera on it.

Douglas
BTW  I personally hate the design of the R8 and R9, they may be
ergonomically designed but they look awful.