Subject: [Leica] There is more to light than how bright it is...
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu May 6 16:25:11 2004

That's not an antidote, Andrew, it's your opinion. Quite frankly, I
think many of your photos would be infinitely stronger in black and
white. As they are posted now, all I see in many of them are colors,
rather than people.

Yes, it's true that had color film been invented first, we would
probably not have monochrome film - or if we had it, it would simply be
a novelty. But that's irrelevant, because black and white film was
invented first, and black and white iconic images are what we ultimately
judge all photography against.

Certainly there are some subjects that are inherently "color" subjects.
But there are many, many that are not. Imagine Salgado's work in
color...Imagine Eugene Smith's...

B. D.