Subject: [Leica] There is more to light than how bright it is...
From: abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri May 7 10:26:21 2004

Hmmm...."Citizen Kane" in color? I don't think so.

It's interesting to me that when they restored "Citizen Kane" for DVD the firm
that did it essentially wiped the grain from the image (their first time doing
such a major piece of work.) And EVERYONE noticed. The moving grain makes a
difference.

The same firm has redone "The Third Man" and it's a wonderful transciption to
DVD.

Of course no film maker, or studio, would risk a black and white release any
more. No more films like "The Last Picture Show".

Sigh.

Shooting in black and white is abstracting the world one degree into  a space
that is separate. And because it is abstracted we see things differently.

Well, I do.

Adam

Replies: Reply from abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] On Palomar Mountain)
Reply from timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton) ([Leica] There is more to light than how bright it is...)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] There is more to light than how bright it is...)