Subject: [Leica] screen change on SLRs: black specks
From: jean.louchet at inria.fr (Jean Louchet)
Date: Sat May 8 14:15:26 2004

Hi,
> Incidentally, everytime I have changed a viewfinder screen on an R
> camera, it takes me a try or three to get the screen properly seated,
> and invariably I seem to shake loose some heavy black specks that look
> like grease-laden dust hunks, appearing on my newly seated screen.  I'm
> virtually certain these come from within the camera.  Anyone have
> similar exeriences or suggestions how I can avoid this?

Wouldn't this be the thin black foam strip that runs along the front edge
of the screen, which serves as a damper when the mirror comes up? I have
no Leica R but on all my SLRs (mainly Nikons) they begin to decompose
after 10-15 years into some sort of sticky powder. They often leave a
sticky blacjk mark on the low edge of the mirror. I have found
replacements for cheap on ebay, installation is not complicated but the
hardest part is scraping off the old stuff (better with the screen out
and some paper over the mirror not to drop cats and dogs there)

Jean

Replies: Reply from jkoplen at mindspring.com (Julian Koplen) ([Leica] screen change on SLRs: black specks)