Subject: [Leica] Best known photo ?
From: TTAbrahams at aol.com (TTAbrahams@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 10 22:32:12 2004

Marc, I base my opinion on the impact of the photos by Eddie Adams and Nick
Ut on the reaction to these images in Europe. At the time I was working as a
photographer/journalist in Sweden - a country that did not support the US
involvement in Vietnam. These images and others like that coloured many of the
Europeans view of US foreign policies and the damage is still there. The first time
we arrived in the US was late May 1970, only days before the Kent State
shooting! We spent 5 months traveling around US/Canada in an old pickup truck with
a camper and listened and talked to people we met. The war was on everybody's
mind as most everybody know someone who was there. It is unfortunate that the
collective memory of any population is just about a generation. As soon as a
new generation comes along, the same mistake can evidently be made again - new
players and different location but very much the same game. Maybe we should
ensure that books like "The Destruction Business", "Vietnam Inc.", "This is
War", etc.  are on the required reading lists at all schools.
Tom A
Tom Abrahamsson
Vancouver, BC
Canada