Subject: [Leica] Who Still Has a Darkroom?
From: lists at heninger.org (Wade Heninger)
Date: Thu May 13 14:22:27 2004

I am just in the process of building a B/W darkroom at my new house.  The
plan is to take down the existing garage and rebuild it with a separate
darkroom/office area for me.

Funny, but I have access to the hardware: scanners, computers, printers etc.
I work at Adobe Systems, and part of my job is focusing on the digital
imaging portions of Photoshop. As expected, I spend all day in the
application.

So why am I going into the dark?

First, because I enjoy the analog process.  Second, and most importantly,
because I like the quality *much* better than anything I can get with
digital (either using film and scanning or trying to deal with the crappy
hardware in digital cameras).  There is just no contest in my experience,
which I'll admit isn't as encompassing as some here, but the amount of pain
people go thru with their clogged heads, shifting colors and such, it makes
my Bessler 23C XL seem positively enjoyable by comparison.

Digital is great for color; I never shoot color film these days.  I scan all
my film and use that for the contact sheet process.  I post the good ones on
the web and then go into the darkroom to print the few selects.

Am I dogmatic about this?  Not really.  When I can output them with the same
quality of a good fiber print and with the ease in which I can produce them
in the dark, I'll probably walk away from the darkroom.

Replies: Reply from jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden) ([Leica] Who Still Has a Darkroom?)