Subject: [Leica] Who still has a darkroom?
From: etruscello at yahoo.com (Thomas Pastorello)
Date: Sat May 15 08:35:07 2004

   Not long ago I was able to sell my Omega D-2 4x5
enlarger, with Aristo cold light and an Omega dichroic
head (adapted to filter through 6" condensers). In a
nostalgic farewell, I sold three beautiful Rodenstock
Rodagon lenses as well.  My Epson Perfection 3200
flatbed scanner replaces this outfit and does an
exceptional job with my 4x5 negatives for blow-ups to
13"x19" on the Epson 2000P printer. (And watercolor
paper or archival matte behind glass adequately
replaces my gorgeous Agfa Portriga fiber papers).
  Fortunately, I was not able to quickly sell my Omega
C760 enlarger (for formats up to 6x7).  I say it is
fortunate I did not sell it because I found such a
wonderful "digital" use for it that I would now never
part with it!
   I use the C760 now to digitally "scan" 35mm slides
and negatives and get beautiful results that rival the
quality of the output of my Canoscan 4000 but with far
greater speed!  I remove the dichroic head from the
enlarger and place it upside down on the baseboard.
In place of the head, I mount my Nikon D100 with
Nikkor 60mm f2.8 1:1 Micro lens.  (Omega sells a
camera mount to allow the conversion of the enlarger
into a copy stand.)  For slides, I set the dichroic
head for white, the D100 for tungsten light, and the
lens for 1:1 and very quickly convert slides into high
resolution, sharp and well color-balanced digital
images.  For negatives, I get the same exceptional
results after setting the filtration of the dichroic
head to compensate for the orange mask of the
negatives.  Of course the digital files for the
negatives are in color inverted form, but that is
quickly corrected in Photoshop with one menu click.
(Just one other note about Photoshop:  I find that if
I set the D100 to sharp, I should not use any
sharpening in Photoshop or else the film grain becomes
too apparent in large blow-ups.)(Just one other note
about the D100: I set it to monitor highlight
overexposure -- this works wonders for contrast
control.)
   So yes, in some sense I still use a darkroom but my
transition to digital is now complete.  The work I do
with the C760 is no longer in the dark.  I enjoy the
speed and quality of the new process; but of my old
routine, I miss the comfort of its womb-like
atmosphere, the sound of my metronome against the
backdrop of soft classical music, the sight of
tray-bound images slowly emerging to life in the warm
orange glow of the darkroom...
   Tom