Subject: [Leica] sorta OT: buying external scsi harddrive online
From: abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon May 17 19:23:47 2004

On 5/17/04 <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com (George Hartzell)> thoughtfully wrote:

>And to Adam, who said "It has been a LONG time since I've had a hard
>drive fail", I hope that you haven't just jinxed yourself.  Drives
>*do* fail, and it doesn't even take a drive failure to trash the
>data.  "Whoops" is a naughty word around here....

This is why I back up to a hard drive partion all of my non-reproducable data.
Tape just doesn't do it any more for me compared to the cost of a hard drive.
Retrospect just does its little thing and I'm happy as a clam. Takes a while but
that's what sleepy time is for! <grin>

I have had drives fail - but not very often and I take care of mine. I haven't
had OS X muck around with a drive yet. Let's hear it for Unix.

adam