Subject: [Leica] The "discipline" of using only one lens
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed May 19 11:38:37 2004

Jeffery Smith said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] The "discipline" of using only one lens

> As far as I know, Capa and HCB primarily used one lens. Certainly the
folks
> who did Rolleiflex TLR work used one lens. Even when I carry 3 lenses with
> me in the Domke, I often use just one and leave the others in the bag.
> Opportunities are too fleeting to be fiddling with swapping lenses
IMO.<<<<<

Hi Jeffery,
Well some folks don't understand many of the older lads around here only had
one lens for their Speed Graphic, I used a 127mm, considered a kind of wide
angle.;-) And on occasion used a longer lens for shooting pro-football. No
not like the size of today's 35mm cameras or digi. cam's.

Or we used a Rollieflex with only one lens. Actually we used two.... one
colour, one b&w. So we learned to walk closer or step back to change
coverage.

However, as time and experience evolved and we switched to 35mm with it's
versatility of lenses we added more bodies to avoid missed photo
opportunities. To the extent on some assignments I'm working 3 M7's and 3
motor-driven R8's all hanging off my body! :-) Sure one hell of a site, but
you have to see before it happens. ;-)

But on many occasions I'll work with one M7 and a lens appropriate to the
assignment situation.

ted

Replies: Reply from jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] The "discipline" of using only one lens)
Message from jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] The "discipline" of using only one lens)