Subject: [Leica] The Golem Among Us
From: tim at KairosPhoto.com (Tim Atherton)
Date: Mon May 24 20:01:11 2004

> A petard is a bomb. To hoist means lifting into the air.
> "Hoisted with his own petard" means "blown up by a bomb that he planted".
>
> It's referenced in Hamlet.

I think a petard was a sort of late medieval shaped charge used during
sieges to blow holes in walls or, more probably, castle/city gates etc - it
was hung on or placed against the obstacle.

The root meaning is the same (from early French/Latin or some such) to blow
a hole in a wall or blow a hole in your pant both making the same muffled
explosive noise....

And as Brian says - to be "hoisted" up by it is to be lifted up by it - ie
blown up by your own device.

tim