Subject: [Leica] Susan Sontag-- Hah!
From: timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton)
Date: Wed May 26 08:02:53 2004

> > Right - and while we're at it, let's ask that Muslim attorney in Oregon
> > whose finger prints, the FBI insisted, were on a piece of the Madrid
> > bomb about it. ;-)
>

> Yea it was all because of that inferior digital output!
> :)

and also the poor standards and requirements of finger print evidence in
most US jurisdictions. Most other countries (including Spain) need a much
higher number of matches than in the US. Even with inferior digital output
the Spanish authorities doubted it was a match, something several law
enforcement experts across here failed to notice - because the system here
generally allows for a much less rigorous comparison.

In blind testing within the system I think the last figures I saw where that
it's about one in four matches is found to be incorrect.

tim

PS I used to use a Nikon not a Leica for fingerprint photographs... (back on
topic :-)  )