Subject: [Leica] I didn't name names...50mm f1.4 ASPH (APO) (FLE)
From: photovilla at aol.com (Rich)
Date: Wed May 26 21:55:07 2004

I have been waiting a while now for the rumor mill to bring up this 50mm
ASPH which I believe we will see sooner than you think. I didn't want to
be the one who "named names" for political reasons (I don't want to be
seen as a blabber mouth anytime they tell me something) but no I see the
cat is out of the bag...so perhaps it is time to post this:

(From Leica to dealers)<<

We are pleased to announce a new high-speed standard lens for the Leica
M System offering maximum imaging performance: the new LEICA SUMMILUX-M
50mm f/1.4 ASPH.  The goal of the optical designers at Leica was to
create a reference lens that would exceed the technical boundaries of
imaging creating a new performance ?benchmark? of the standard 50mm
focal length.  The LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. delivers virtually
the same outstanding results through out all apertures and focus
settings.  This is the first major redesign of this lens since 1962.

The optical structure of the LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. consists
of eight lenses in 5 groups.  Glass with anomalous partial dispersion
(elements 2/3) was used to ensure correct color rendition.  Lens element
2 is made of a fluorite-type glass while lens element 3 is made from
glass originating from the former Leitz glass laboratory.  Lens element
4 has an aspherical surface.  Lens elements 1, 6 and 7 are made of glass
with a very high refractive index to minimize monochromatic aberrations.
  In all every innovation currently available in lens technology ?
aspherical lenses, glass with anomalous partial dispersion (APO), glass
with a high refraction index and a floating element ? has been combined
to create a lens that will set new imaging standards.

This is the first Leica M lens with a specifically patented ?floating
element? used to maintain imaging performance at a very high level even
in close-focus ranges down to 0.7m. During focusing, the rearmost
optical component (elements 7/8) moves relative to the rest of the
optical system and produces brilliant image quality in near focus
ranges. To maximize the benefits of the ?floating element? an extremely
precise adjusting mechanism has also been utilized that had to fit into
the restricted space inside this compact M-lens.

At full aperture, the LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. offers high
contrast rendering even for the finest structures. This performance can
only be raised slightly by stopping down. Another notable feature of
this lens is that it is virtually distortion-free. The normal vignetting
for such high-speed lenses at full aperture is strongly reduced by
stopping down slightly. Furthermore, the use of the most advanced
coating technology ensures a high degree of anti-glare.

The new LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. also offers special new
features in terms of its handling: The built-in lens hood not only
provides protection against stray light and dust, it can also be locked
in the extended position to guard against accidental retracting. In
addition to the familiar knurled ring, the lens is equipped with a
finger grip that allows easy focusing using one finger. The balanced
proportions of the lens also provide comfortable usage for longer
periods of time.

Technical Data
LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH.

  Angle of view (diagonal, horizontal, vertical)    47?, 40?, 27?

Optical design
  Number of lenses / groups 8 / 5
Aspherical surfaces  1

Distance setting
  Focusing range     0.7m to ?
  Scales    Combined meter/feet graduation
  Smallest object field  11 inches x 16 inches
  Largest reproduction ratio pprox. 1:11.3

Aperture
  Setting / Function  Preset, with click-stops, half values
   available Lowest value 16

Filter mount Internal thread for screw-on filters   size
   E46, non-rotating

  Lens hood  Built-in, telescopic, lockable

Finish
Black anodised only

Dimensions and weight
  Length to bayonet flange approx. 2 inches
  Largest diameter    approx. 2 inches
  Weight      approx. 10.5 ounces

According to an inside source (this name I can't name. <g>) this lens is
the very best 50mm lens every produced by Leica. Actually he says by
anyone... BAR NONE! Wow...I hope it is true...anyone want to buy my
tabbed 1980's summicron? ;>

Price will be about $2500. Not cheap...not an abomination either by
Leica standards however.

I will try to put photos on my web site in the next few days as soon as
I know it is ok. It looks a lot like the current one though.

I vote we name it the "50mm f1.4 Summilux APO ASPH FLE" just to mess up
all those tidy Shutterbug ads...get those columns messy again. <he he>

Whoops...I have now named names. darn!

cheers,
Rich

PS- where are all the rumors about a digital CM? I just assumed when I
saw that camera that there would be a digital one...but all potatoes and
no meat yet. (?)

--
Our New Address:

The Photo Village, Inc.
1133 Broadway, Suite 824 (between 25th & 26th Streets)
New York, NY 10010
(212) 989-1252
www.photovillage.com

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] I didn't name names...50mm f1.4 ASPH (APO) (FLE))