Subject: [Leica] new 50/1.4 M lens
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu May 27 09:25:12 2004

It *will* be interesting to see the aesthetic differences in the
fingerprints of the old and new lens.

The floating elements design is a significant improvement.  I've seen the
difference it can make in close-ups (on Olympus Zuiko SLR lenses).  It's
old technology, but I suspect it was harder to implement on RF lenses.

I wonder if bokeh considerations played any part in the design.  Since
bokeh was really the only major complaint about the Nokton, it would be
surprising if Leica didn't consider it.

The proof of the pudding will be the pictures. The difference is academic
to me. $2500 is out of my price range, especially with some digital
decisions looming.  But it's interesting nonetheless.

So Feli, how about: "Boy am I glad I bought my slightly used 50/1.5 Nokton
two years ago!  It cost me one-tenth of the price of this new Leica lens,
and I'll bet you can barely tell the difference on Tri-X."  :-)

--Peter, going back to munching his sour grapes :-)

Replies: Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] new 50/1.4 M lens)