Subject: [Leica] This here fancy 50
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu May 27 20:41:38 2004

Yes out there now are 50's with asph's and floating elements.
And they sell of course for a few hundred bucks not being Leica glass or
Zeiss or Schneider or Rodenstock.

Part of this is Leica deciding that their 50 1.4 as now in their R system
should be a high end high tech lens with floating ASPH elements and amazing
coatings and so on. A set of sky high parameters.

This could backfire in the respect that it's like "how good is the coffee"
being who one judges the joint.
One peruses a system and checks out the 50 1.4.
Two and a half grand?
THAT system is out of my league.
But it's also clearly the BEST 50 1.4.
So you know when you get into that league what you are getting yourself
inform.

Perhaps the way to have gone would have been to redesign the Noctilux with
asph's making is lighter and cheaper an a little bit more to what having an
M system is potentially all about.

And fine tune the 50 Summicron optic.
Which as far as I go is the Kodachrome 64 of the Leica system.
And make the lens shade click out able.
Which I'm sure they'll do in a year anyway.
THAT should be the benchmark.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon