Subject: [Leica] Leica newbie inquiry LONG LENS HOLDING!
From: rdcb37 at cyberone.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Fri May 28 02:56:32 2004

1/15th is my borderline between reasonable and risky.

"Stand still, will ya".  Subjects are not always as steady as
photographers.  One of the reasons stabilised lenses are not magic.
Stabilised subjects would be good, sometimes.

But I must say, some of my favorite shots have come with speeds around
1/8th and 1/15th.  One still child in the middle of a bunch of blurred
friends can make a lovely portrait.  And I like to see the movement of
hands or feet in shots.  1/15th is ideal for this.

I recently used an R8 for some campsite shots at dusk.  At 1/4, on a
tripod.  Lovely blurry fire and spark trails in all the shots.  But in
5 of the 6 at least one of the subjects had that mashed face look, like
in the old days.

oh well.

Rick.