Subject: [Leica] The Horror, The Horror
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sat May 29 04:37:02 2004

Dan Post wrote, re.  http://www.pixelpress.org/horror_text.html :
> The thing that struck me, aside from the stupidity of the guards, was the
> part of the article about congress limiting who and what could be
> photographed. Not only is this a clear intrusion on the tenth
> amendment, but it seems like a start up the 'slippery slope' of abridging
> the first amendment. So far, street photographers are banned from taking
> shot in and around subways, as I understand, and possibly in other venues
> of public transportation. Who is to say that there might not be a ban on
> photographing interesting looking people since the attention might be
> construed as something sinister- photographing ugly people might hurt
their
> self esteem, or photographing people eating might cause some mental
> trauma in the 'victims'.

The US for me, at a very personal level is about freedom.  When I first
came to the US, nothing epitomized it more than the ability to photograph
_anything_ in public view, including military facilities, the Pentagon,
etc..
Now I hear of stories of photographers being harassed for taking photos of
bridges, subways, etc.  I hear of laws and ordinances making such activities
suspect and illegal.

In the weeks immediately following 9/11, I was travelling by airplane a lot
for work.  I was very conscious that I was living in a free country, and not
once
did I feel unsafe.    Horrified, and sad, but not unsafe, and above all,
free.
These days, I feel a little less safe, and a little less free.
That to me is victory for the terrorists.

- Phong

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] The Horror, The Horror)