Subject: [Leica] The Horror, The Horror
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sun May 30 06:19:20 2004

Adam Bridge wrote, in part:
> America's decline in sensitivity into a kind of depraved
> indifference
> However much you want to put the blame on these blunderings
> of the current administration they are merely exploitable symptoms
> of the  American culture.
> We've lost the concept of honor.

I don't know about that.  Every generation has its share
of heroes and villains.   If anything, I think the current
American generation is much more attuned and sensitive
to the plight of others, and more open minded than previous
generations.

There is a New York Times article (online version at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/30/arts/30RICH.html?th)
that ties the horrors at Abu Ghraib, with Janet Jackson,
Susan Sontag, photography  and other themes we talked
about here.  It also mentions the same atrocities perpetrated
throughout several generations in the US.  It is my deep
belief that we have always had the capacity for cruelty,
and always will.  All we need is a cataclyst.

But don't blame it  on MTV (or porn, or video games)

I blame it on the current administration, as I blame every
other administration before it that led the country into war
unnecessary.  War is nasty business, and nasty things
happen in war, even in the most righteous ones.   When
you go to war, you open the gates of hell, and you turn,
not only your ennemies, but your brothers and yourself into
demons.  To engage in the businesses of war in the defense
of one's country is one thing; doing it for ideology, for
political gains, for money, for oil, is another.  It is immoral
in my books, and I am just about the most amoral person
I know.

Then to lie to me about it (sorry if I take these things
personally) tops if off.   Bush must go.

- Phong