Subject: [Leica] Depression FSA Kodachromes
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon May 31 14:54:04 2004

It's a fascinating collection. I find the black and whites far more
powerful and compelling, and see most of these images - with the
exception of two that work particularly well as COLOR images - as just
looking, well, dated. I think this is a perfect example of Ted's line
about color showing clothes, while b&w shows soul....These are photos of
people in old clothes; not poor people; not suffering people; just
people.

Now, that does of course beg the very real question of whether black and
white photography creates false impressions - to say nothing of whether
I see these differently because I expect photos of the Depression to be
in black and white.

B. D.