Subject: [Leica] Re: Available light photography
From: LRZeitlin at aol.com (LRZeitlin@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jun 1 10:13:42 2004

One of my nephews is taking an advanced photo course in college. He is a
pretty fair photographer and is familiar with all the latest technology. Last week
the instructor assigned a project of photographing a picture story of an
early morning (i.e., 4 a.m.) wholesale produce market using available light
techniques, no flash or tripods allowed. He came over to borrow my Leica with its
f1.2 50 mm lens and plans on using the fastest film he can buy. Other than that
he seems woefully unaware of all the techniques we used in the "dark ages" to
grab available light shots of black cats in coal cellars. He knew nothing of
latensification, pre-exposure flashing, hypersensitization, etc. He was unaware
of the tension string or beanbag approach to steady a camera.

Question:

Are these techniques used anymore? Is film fast enough to do what we want
without help?
Have we lowered our expectations about conditions in which pictures can be
taken?

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: Available light photography)
Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] Re: Available light photography)