Subject: [Leica] Re: Depression
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Jun 2 06:43:18 2004

At 06:07 AM 6/2/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>Would you rather have $500 from the sale of one fine art print or $5 from
>1000 posters?

Definitely $500 for one sale.  The $5 sale gives the impression that
photography is a cheap commodity.  That impression can only hurt
photographers trying to convince photo editors that their copyrighted
photographs are valuable.

>If a person's major intent were to produce limited edition fine art prints
>of his work, I suspect photojournalism is not an ideal field for him to
>enter.  :)

But photojournalists do sell fine art prints, as is shown on that
site.  Freelance photojournalists also sell the rights to use their photos
to magazines.  Unless they are doing work for hire, they receive no
benefits or salary.  If "thousands of photographs by the world's best
photographers" can be sold for $17.95 each, it's time to look for another
profession.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com