Subject: [Leica] x-raying TX400 when you know you'll push it
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Thu Jun 3 07:17:54 2004

Adam, if I were pushing it, I would try to minimize scanning, but not freak
out if people refuse.

The only time folks have refused hand-scanning my film in the US was at the
St Louis Arch, where everything entering had to be x-rayed, including the
TMax 3200 film I had.  They made it very simple: "XRay it or it doesn't go
in."  No effects on the film that I could detect.

However, I have had NO problems whatsoever on US flights since I started
putting a smile on my face and saying:

"I have a few rolls of PROFESSIONAL film that I'd like to get hand-checked,
if you don't mind."

while I hand them a ziplock bag containing naked rolls of film.

It often looks like they're about to ask me the speed of the film or tell
me the machine is safe, but when they hear the magic word "PROFESSIONAL"
then they immediately accept the bag and call someone over to take it to be
swabbed at the explosives sniffer.  Somewhere on the TSA website it does
actually mention professional film (along with high-speed film and film
that will be push-processed) as stuff that shouldn't be x-rayed.  I don't
know how much difference it makes that the TX I order from B&H actually
does have the words "professional film" written on the side, but it can't hurt.

Good luck,
Aaron

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] x-raying TX400 when you know you'll push it)