Subject: [Leica] Lenses and cornbread
From: mitch.zeissler at verizon.net (Mitch Zeissler)
Date: Fri Jun 4 08:58:48 2004

All...

During our recent camping trip to Dolly Sods, West Virginia, I started
thinking (don't ask me why) about corn bread, of all things, as I was taking
these Leica shots (to keep this note on topic):
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ssgc/Dolly_Sods/index.htm

Then the Washington Post ran a really good looking recipe for "Extreme Corn
Bread" the following weekend
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61894-2004May27.html).
Although it looks pretty good as a recipe, I know from past experience that
I don't do real well with store bought mixes (chemicals? rancid
ingredients?), like the one that forms the basis of the Post recipe.  So I
dug up our dusty copy of Rombauer and used their Southern corn bread recipe
as the base, then modified the Post recipe, adding my own twist by using
home milled popcorn as the corn meal and doubling all the ingredient
amounts.

Whoa...

The absolute best corn bread I've ever eaten, bar none.

+++++++++++++++++++
Over-the-top Corn Bread

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of butter or other shortening (to grease the pan)
3-1/2 cups of corn meal (I used freshly ground popcorn)
2 teaspoons of baking soda
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 teaspoons of salt
2 cups sour cream
2 sticks butter (salted or unsalted, whichever you prefer), softened
4 eggs
1 pound of frozen kernel corn
14-ounce can low calorie creamed corn (lower calories equals less sugar)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 10-inch
cast-iron skillet with the shortening. In a large bowl using an electric
mixer on medium speed, combine the corn meal, baking soda, baking powder,
salt, sour cream, butter and eggs until blended, about 30 seconds. Using a
spatula or wooden spoon, stir in the corn kernels and creamed corn until
well blended.

Pour the mixture into the greased skillet and bake 40 to 45 minutes, or
until the corn bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle
comes out clean. Serve slices with butter or honey. Serves 8 to 10.

Regards,

Mitch
   E-mail: mitch.zeissler@verizon.net