Subject: [Leica] Do not photograph fire hydrants
From: bcaldwell51 at earthlink.net (Bryan Caldwell)
Date: Sat Jun 5 20:56:57 2004

Jim,

In California, the state constitution guarantees a free speech right of
access to privately owned shopping malls. This state right was upheld
by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1980 (Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robins)
and found not to violate the mall owner's First Amendment right to free
speech or his/her federal right to not have property taken without just
compensation. A few years ago this was limited to shopping malls only,
not individual stores (I can't remember the case off the top of my
head).

In the absence of such a state-created right, no one has the right to
express themselves (which would include taking a picture) in a shopping
mall over the objections of the owner.