Subject: [Leica] The President, D-Day and History
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Jun 6 16:56:49 2004

At 12:26 AM 6/6/04 -0600, Tim Atherton wrote:

>I certainly hope someone is going to put him right before he speaks to the
>D-Day veterans. All I can say is that it certainly would have been news to
>my Grandfather, under fire on the beach at Dunkerque in 1940, that the war
>didn't start until a year and a half later...
>
>The idiocy is astounding

For the US, the War DID start on 7/8 DEC 1941, and let there be no mistake
about that.

On the evening of 6 DEC 1941, my father (then, 1st LT James G Small,
O384921, then XO of F/260th CA (AA)) almost was assaulted at the Fort Bliss
Officers' Club in Texas when he suggested that the US would be dragged into
World War II.  His cronies got him out of there unharmed but it seems to
have been a miracle that they did so -- the overwhelming majority of
officers at the bar with him felt that the US had no business in the War
and saw no reason for us to get involved.  (Remember that the Congressional
leadership -- the Speaker of the House, the President Pro Tem of the
Senate, and the Democrat and Republican leaders) met with Franklin Delano
Roosevelt on the afternoon of 7 DEC 1941 to advise him that the Japanese
attack on Pearl Harbor and the Philippines and on Wake and Guam did not
mean that Congress would pass a request for a declaration of war on
Germany.  It took Hitler's declaration of war on the US to get public
opinion in favor of a US intervention in the European conflict.

I do recognize that the outbreak of World War II can be dated to 1933 or
1937 in China or to 1939 in Poland.  However, the average USian citizen did
not feel that they were involved until the Japanese attacked us and until
the Third Reich declared war on the US.  That made it a whole different
kettle of fish, and ensured that the US-UK alliance would, in due course,
obliterate the Third Reich from the map.

And, pray, do not allow your distaste for President Bush to overwhelm your
normally sound attitudes.  Bush is running for re-election this year and
was speaking much more for a domestic audience than for a European one.
Had he said anything differently, there would have been hell to pay with
WWII vets in the US, all of whom regard the war as having broken out on 7/8
DEC 1941.

If my Mother were still alive, she would be having you up one side and down
the other, in slivers.  And she was a pronounced Anglophile.  But the US
comes first in the attitudes of most of the US citizenry.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton) ([Leica] The President, D-Day and History)